Congratulations to our Marketing Department! They took home three awards at last night’s Public Relations Society of America – Nebraska Chapter’s Paper Anvil Awards. Our super talented team won for the following:
- Award of Excellence for the Weather on 2 Product Launch
- Award of Excellence for our Great Tech Campaign
- Award of Merit for the Unite Private Networks Website Design
If you have a moment, take a second to congratulate our team on Facebook or in the comments section of our blog!
Nearly every retailer on the planet is shouting from the mountaintops about their upcoming Black Friday deals. However, if you are looking to give a gift that is a little more unique, we have found some great ideas. You may or may not be aware of the many Nebraska businesses that are ripe with gifts perfect for the holidays. What’s even better, is that you can order online and get your Christmas shopping done while sipping cocoa in your Husker sweats!
Jensen-Photography: With Abby Jensen’s art hanging on the walls of our corporate headquarters, we may be a bit biased, but the work of this Nebraska artist is sure to delight anyone on your list. Her landscapes range from the open plains of our own state to the grape fields of Peru and the vastness of the African Sahara. Prints are personally signed by the artist and are professionally framed before arrival. All you have to do is select your favorite and the rest is taken care of for you! You can view her full gallery online and select sizing and frame options right from the site.
As with most artists, preparing a piece takes some time, so we encourage you to take a look soon to ensure that your gifts are wrapped and under the tree in time to make your Yuletide truly memorable.
GrowNebraska.com: For anyone who believes in supporting Nebraska’s network of small businesses, this site is a must. Grow Nebraska is an organization that helps Cornhusker entrepreneurs learn to excel. From retailing to marketing to accounting, Grow Nebraska provides the skills needed to support the hundreds of Nebraska small businesses. The site includes many gift favorites including jewelry, bath products, spices, candles, and more.
Bakers Candies: Looking to satisfy a sweet tooth? Bakers’ colorful confections are a perfect fit. From uber-festive boxes, to Husker-themed offerings, and free shipping (with conditions), it’s a great site to get gifts for your favorite teacher, boss, or chocoholic.
Do you have a favorite Nebraska-based business for gifts? Let us know in the comments section below.
In the last post, we discussed possible factors stemming from wireless issues including unknown devices, signal hijackers and router technology. This post will focus on how individual websites can affect your experience when surfing the web.
Part Two: How Websites Affect Your Speed
- Using popular sites at their peak of demand – If you are using a streaming service during primetime hours or trying to check facebook at 10:00 am, then you are more likely to experience a long load time. This is because the site is getting the highest amount of requests at that time. Just as you have a connection going into your home, websites have connections that connect them out to the web. When these connections receive an especially large amount of requests, the site is likely to run more slowly.
- Heavy Sites – Some sites try to do too much. They use flash animations, draw information from multiple databases, stream video and/or load multiple images simultaneously. The problem is that while these sites might look engaging (though normally they just look cluttered), having that much downloading at once means a very long load time compared to other, cleaner-looking sites. It can also slow down other websites since all sites are received through the same cable and a heavy site that regularly refreshes itself will take a lot of bandwidth.