It has come early this year, and you won’t want to miss a single minute of the excitement. Shark Week begins this Sunday, June 28 on Discovery Channel. Great Plains Communications has provided some shark trivia to bring to your watch parties, while also providing an activity sheet for the kids.
- What are the v-shaped scales that allow a shark to move swiftly through the water called?
- Denticles – A shark’s skin is covered by tough, v-shaped scales called “denticles.” Similar to tiny teeth, they create tiny vortices that reduce drag, making swimming more efficient.
- Of the roughly 50 shark attacks reported every year, what percentage is actually fatal?
- 10% – Dying from a shark attack is very rare simply because sharks don’t really want to eat humans. Most shark bites aren’t followed by a second bite.
- How many tons of meat does the average adult great white have to eat every year?
- 11 tons – To sustain their massive size, body heat and constant movement, great whites must eat an average of 11 tons of meat each year.
Now that you have the knowledge, you are sure to impress your friends next week. And with Great Plains Communications cable service, you won’t miss a single show, from The Return of Monster Mako premiering Sunday, June 26 at 8 PM CT, to Sharksanity which premieres Saturday, July 2 at 8 PM CT. If you do not have cable service with us but would like to learn about what we offer in your area, call our Customer Response Center at 1-855-853-1483.