The nation’s birthday is right around the corner, which means the smell of BBQ’s and sight of fireworks are nearly upon us, too. To celebrate we’ve accumulated the best “fun facts” about Independence Day from around the web. Click on the highlighted areas to see even more facts!
- More than 150 million hot dogs are consumed each 4th of July, most by the 74 million Americans who will attend a BBQ.
- The Declaration of Independence was actually signed on July 2nd. July 4th was when people chose to celebrate and thus that became the nation’s birthday.
- Copper is used to make the color blue in fireworks. The ruddy metal produces bright blue flames when burned.
- Our neighbor to the east, Iowa, has the most towns with the term liberty in the name with 4; Libertyville, North Liberty, New Liberty and West Liberty.
- When the Declaration of Independence was signed only 2.5 million people resided in America. The latest census pinned the current population at approximately 311 million.
- Nearly $3 million worth of U.S. flags are imported into America each year. $2.5 million of which are from China. Nearly another $1 million worth are exported, with Mexico being the biggest customer.
Does your town have a fun way to celebrate the 4th of July? Let us know in the comments section below!