It’s Shark Week on Discovery! The week was kicked-off by Michael Phelps racing a CGI shark, losing by just a couple seconds. From there, the excitement was on. Tonight, you can catch Great White Serial Killer Lives: Sharkopedia Edition at 7 PM as “Researchers try to unravel the mysterious reasons behind great white shark attacks happening in the same place, every two years.” Find the full schedule here on Discovery’s website.
Interesting Shark Facts:
- Sharks’ sightlines span nearly 360 degrees.
- Over 400 shark species are in the world’s oceans today. They vary in shape, but share similar characteristics.
- 6 years before Steven Spielberg’s Jaws, Burt Reynolds starred in Shark. Real sharks were used in filming, and a stuntman was killed.
- Pygmy sharks can make their own light.
- Sharks can heat their eyes using a special organ next to a muscle in their eye socket, allowing them to continue hunting in frigid waters.
Great Plains Communications wants to take part in the Shark Week fun, and to do that we have created a Facebook giveaway! From July 24-July 30, you can go to our Facebook page and find the post with the graphic above. There you will need to like our Facebook page, like the post and comment your favorite shark species to be entered to win a Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum! The winner will be notified Monday, July 31.